SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - It's Not Impossible

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
It's Not Impossible 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 It's Not Impossible
There are those who will always naysay something.
“It can’t be done” That won’t work.” “You can’t write that type of story.” ' It won't make sense."

I say to Heck with those people.
It can be done but you have to put in the effort to make it work. You have to believe in something, but you also have to convince others in the creative process to believe in it too.

I am of course referring to in this case, the people who say “How can you have a movie with a character who does not speak?”

I would say that some of the most compelling movies had characters who did not speak or spoke very little.

Let’s skip the entire silent era of film. Because no one really spoke in any of those movies, they were essentially books with moving pictures.
Charlie Chaplin built his career on not speaking until his last film "The Great Dictator."

Let us start with a comedic performer that never spoke. That is right, we are talking about the man with the horn.
Harpo Marx. From 1929 to 1962 this comic genius barely spoke a word. I don’t think anyone can think of the Marx Brothers without Groucho and Harpo. He was iconic.

Coincidentally 1962 was also the year that we were introduced to Boo Radley. Played by a very young Robert Duvall, Boo Radley is a silent but essential character in To Kill a Mockingbird. Boo was a quiet man who said not one line in the film.

In the horror genre one of the most frightening characters to go slashing their way through Trick or Treaters was Michael Myers. Shortly after a hockey masked killer appeared whose favorite holiday was Friday the 13th and favorite summer camp was on Crystal Lake.

There were many science fiction characters who do not speak. Gort. The robot who who inspire George to Lucas to name three of his characters Klaatu Barada and Nikto. Battle Beyond the Stars had an entire race of beings who did not speak. They communicated telepathically

Arguably you could say Mr. Bean does not talk. He is not exactly silent however so perhaps he is a poor example.
Another character who barely speaks at all until we learn she has her own language is Nell. A Jodie Foster film about a woman who raised herself after she was abandoned in the woods. Jodie Foster won best actress in 1995 for her role as Nell.

Who is one of the most iconic Bond Villains who never spoke a word? OddJob, Goldfinger’s right hand man.

Cartoons have several characters who don’t speak but one who stands out in particular is Gromit. Wallace and Gromit make a wonderful duo and Gromit never utters, or barks, a word.

The Chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. He did have a few lines but for the most part he never spoke.

Silent Bob. How can a person forget the blunt smoking comic loving Silent Bob? Could he speak? Did he need to?

Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat, Lurch (in the Addams Family films) Connie in The Walking Dead is deaf. She communicates via sign language. The actress who plays Connie Lara Ridloff is deaf. which brings us to another deaf actress, Oscar and Golden Globe winner Marlee Matlin.

These characters all manage to communicate. Whether through Sign Language, body movements, paper and pen, a horn, a look. If the talent is there, the words don’t need to be spoken.
Bringing the mute Snake Eyes to the screen is not impossible, it just takes a bit more effort.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: It's Not Impossible
Not to mention the original Terminator movie, i think Arnold had 5 lines max, mabee not even that many, i seem to recall 'I'll be Back' and 'asta la vista baby' and that was about it.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Could also have a 1st person narrator revealing his thoughts. Cursive writing on a notebook...

"Let me tell you a story. A story of a highly trained special mission force..."

"I know these stories, because I lived these adventures."

"I was injured on a mission, and lost my ability to speak. When you see this story, remember: all gave some. Some gave all."

Fade and queue the story. Anytime something needs to be said, fade to the narrator and the cursive notebook.

Not really that challenging... Do they need Skinny and me to write it for them??

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 pm
Founder
Founder

Does it bother anyone besides me that the guy they are casting for snake eyes is asian? I mean we all know snake eyes was a white blonde haired guy.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:55 am
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
Half Asian.
Bother? Not really.
This is Snake Eyes 2020.
I imagine it will be a completely new story, and we may not see anything remotely related to Snake Eyes 82-2015.

I will hold judgement until I can see Crazy Rich Asians or the Last Christmas film.
I was going to watch one of his films this weekend and still might but Amazon is charging an arm and a leg right now.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 pm
Founder
Founder

skinny wrote:
Half Asian.
Bother? Not really.
This is Snake Eyes 2020.
I imagine it will be a completely new story, and we may not see anything remotely related to Snake Eyes 82-2015.

I will hold judgement until I can see Crazy Rich Asians or the Last Christmas film.
I was going to watch one of his films this weekend and still might but Amazon is charging an arm and a leg right now.

I was holding out hope for a Bumblebee retro type thing, but with this casting, clearly you are right about whats going on. And, i really hope it doesn't come across as either a generic action movie or a gi joe street fighter type thing.

I suspect they are going to try and re-brand gi joe as a non-military line with ninjas and spies. If they are going to actually do a joe movie with Chuckles, its going to be a mission impossible type thing not a military thing.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]