SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Outback's Outpost 'G.I.Joe 1994' By Mitchell Smith!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Outback's Outpost 'G.I.Joe 1994' By Mitchell Smith! 
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
 Outback's Outpost 'G.I.Joe 1994' By Mitchell Smith!
Welcome to the Outpost. Today we are talking about 1994 G.I.Joe characters. Three of my favorites from this year are who I’m focusing on today, but feel free to add your own favorites. Star Brigade Space Shot, Effects, and Gears are 3 of my favorite characters from this year. 1994 was the year I graduated high school, so I did not know much about this year until I got back into G.I. Joe as a collector. I really loved the idea of the Star Brigade and I thought they could have expanded it, but these 3 were really cool original characters for this year. By the time 1994 rolled around there were original uniform designs but most of the characters were just upgrades to characters that had been around for years.

These 3 were new characters with a little different backgrounds then most of the other Joes. Space Shot looks like Saddam and has the background of Han Solo, but I always have loved the look of this figure especially his helmet and pack. I don’t remember seeing him in the cartoon, but he is still one of my favorites from this year. The Gears figure was just Barricade from head to toe with a different color scheme. He would have looked great with his own head but I guess it wasn’t in the budget. The thing I like about Gears is that he helped create Robo Joe. He is a tech genius and I’m not going to dive to deep but he perhaps could have been a part of the Avenger team, LOL.

Last but not least Effects was a completely new figure and character. This is a really cool figure with a cool helmet. He also came with a large projectile weapon that probably is more fun for a 10 year old then an older version of that 10 year old, but nevertheless he is a pretty cool figure. I do not have an Effects figure but I have Space Shot and Gears and overall I like the Star Brigade figures. The whole 1994 lineup has some unique looking figures that may not be for all Joe fans, but I kind of like how some original characters got some wild upgraded futuristic uniforms. Who is your favorite figure from 1994? Sound off below and let us know! Make sure to check back for our next discussion.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Post Re: Outback's Outpost 'G.I.Joe 1994' By Mitchell Smith!
I bought a lot of joes in 1994, but at the same time, some of the ones i wanted i never saw on a store shelf. I bought Shipwreck, Metal Head, Flint, Cobra Viper, Stalker, and beachhead from the regular lineup. And i had Star Brigade Armor tech Duke and Rock n Roll.

Also the last gi joe vehicle i bought new at the store from the original line was the 1994 Cobra Scorpion. Needless to say when 95 rolled around and i went into KB toys looking for joes and saw manimals and sgt. savage and what came after i was soooo disappointed. Thankfully i just happened to be looking around the action figure aisle at TRU for some Power of the Force figures in 1997 and discovered the 13th anniversary figures. After that it was only a matter of time before i bought all of those and the rest as they say is history..lol.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: Cobra Contractor
Code Name: YorktownJoe
File Name: CLASSIFIED
Aliases: YTJ (more acronym than alias)
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
I am so glad to see all this about 1994!

I was in college and they had every cent I had, plus some more. So there wasn't money for Joe's that year.

If I have any, they are gifts received.

It makes me want to pull out my Bellamo guide and see all the glory I missed!

Some day I will track down Effects. He looks unique, and not at all like a reused sculpt.

I did get an Ozone and a Viper v4(?) From a toy shop in town. Those were probably 1993 though.

I'm really fuzzy after 1989-90.

It would have been cool to see where Joe would.habe gone had they pursued an entire 6 man squad like helmeted Duke. Chocolate chip desert camo, and just alternate heads (and maybe arms to match various pigment shades).

Could you imagine a Special Mission Desert Duel set with a tan camo Hummer or Mauler, and 3 or 6 desert camo Joes?

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:25 pm
Founder
Founder

yorktownjoe wrote:
I am so glad to see all this about 1994!

I was in college and they had every cent I had, plus some more. So there wasn't money for Joe's that year.

If I have any, they are gifts received.

It makes me want to pull out my Bellamo guide and see all the glory I missed!

Some day I will track down Effects. He looks unique, and not at all like a reused sculpt.

I did get an Ozone and a Viper v4(?) From a toy shop in town. Those were probably 1993 though.

I'm really fuzzy after 1989-90.

It would have been cool to see where Joe would.habe gone had they pursued an entire 6 man squad like helmeted Duke. Chocolate chip desert camo, and just alternate heads (and maybe arms to match various pigment shades).

Could you imagine a Special Mission Desert Duel set with a tan camo Hummer or Mauler, and 3 or 6 desert camo Joes?

You just gave me a great idea for future gifts for you :D. As for me, the one grail from 1994 im still trying to get my hands on is 'Predacon'. Mabee someday....lol.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Yeah, Effects and Chocolate Chip Desert Storm Duke are on my list of later Joes.

I'll watch my local toy store guy if he ends up with "Predacon" ever. He had the weird green guy with long neck once. Those creatures were well over the top for me.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 am
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Just wondering what would have happened if they had kept adding unusual lines, but also kept a main force, even with repaints.

I mean the whole idea of Special Missions with Joes and and Cobra in a specific locale. Okay, they could go to space or battle aliens or malfunctioning robots on a meteor. Fine. And everyone who digs that could buy them up!

But also have a desert campaign to to Benzheen, a jungle campaign to Sierra Gordo, an Arctic mission to Frusenland, and a domestic/urban city strike operation to Springfield. Maybe not all the same year, but pick a mission each year/wave. That would allow fans to vote with purchasing...

Potential 1995 or 1996 alternate timeline:

"Well we sold 10,000 alien units and 50,000 desert chocolate chip camo Desert Hammer vehicles. Hmm. What should we do next?"

"More Dinosaurs?"

No!! Repaint the Hammer white and add molded chains to the tires and have it be the Winter Hammer. And maybe pull out the Snow Cat mold and add some gray camo detail and different colored rockets. Winter Hammer and Snow Cat mk II or III or whatever.

Or do the same thing, but with jungle green camo... Jungle Hammer and Jungle Cat, etc.

And use the Snow Cat mold again and double back for the Sand Cat or or Mud Cat or Desert Cat...

Change the missile rack to an actual fires on one one, a gatling gun on another, and a VAMP lie Twin machine gun on another. Keep covering the bases.

But what do I know...

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]