SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Skinny's top ten movies of 2015

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Skinny's top ten movies of 2015 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
 Skinny's top ten movies of 2015
Here is a fun rundown of what I feel were the ten best movies of 2015

I have yet to see Antman and Inside Out so if you were surprised they were not included that is why. Avengers Age of Ultron was a decent movie but did not stand out enough to make the top ten. I would probably place it at number eleven, depending on where Antman and Inside Out fell.
So without further delay here are my picks ( as requested) for the top ten movies of 2015.

10. Pixels
A fun nostalgic romp for the Atari and arcade generation where video games come to life.

9. Tomorrowland
A movie that suffered from Pirates of the Caribbean Syndrome. Many thought that trying to turn another Disney ride into a movie was a mistake, however the movie had charm and I felt, was something worth viewing for its take on a possible future. I enjoyed it for what it was and was sad it did not garner more fans.

8. The Visit
What some felt was another bad M Knight Shyamalan movie, I thought was a good old fashioned twist movie from the guy who likes to throw you a twist. The scene where the kids show Mom their grandparents via skype is the key moment to the whole thing. Besides who uses the term “Pop Pop”?

7. Chappie
Panned for being too much like Short Circuit in places, I did enjoy the view into the South African rapper’s world, a world very different than downtown Manhattan or a Texas ranch. Forget that Chappie is a robot for a minute and enjoy this talented product of Yo Landi Visser and Neill Blomkamp.

6. Straight Outta Compton
A view into the crazy life of the musical group NWA and how they brought street sensibilities and problems with them into the recording industry, including rivalries that turn deadly.

5. Peanuts
Charles Schultz’s lovable characters being themselves, straight out of the newspaper funnies. Nothing too serious, just a nice story with of course a happy ending. Beautifully rendered and lovingly created.

4. Jurassic World
Bigger dinosaurs and friendly Velociraptors. Shades of Jaws where the beach was a fun place until the giant shark swims into the bay. Wild animals are wild animals kids, keep your hands in the vehicle at all times. Even when the dinos toss your vehicle off the main path. Also who will forget the importance of saving the Margaritas now? Nobody.

3. Star Wars The Force Awakens
The most anticipated movie of the year and another huge money maker. It introduced a great new cast of characters that unlike the prequels, actually have some charisma. It does suffer from re-cycled plot points and a heavy dose of homages, that in some cases do not make a whole lot of sense. For instance the two troopers talking about ships in the passages of the Death Star. It does however deliver what we expected but were not given in 1999 and that is the familiar Star Wars world we know and love. It is also the only movie I saw twice this year.

2. Hunger Games MockingJay
The final chapter in the Katniss story. The Girl on Fire leads us through one last mission to defeat President Snow and anyone else who stands in the way of a free Panem. Well paced, great effects and a great story tied together with characters we care about.

1. Mad Max Fury Road
Welcome back to the post apocalyptic Earth where evil rules and good people suffer. That is until Max falls into yet another town where things are even worse than the last town. The real hero of Fury Road is Imperator Furiosa. She had things well in hand way before Max arrived in town. A well choreographed chase movie and a showcase for some of the most creative vehicles in motion picture history, complete with a modern version of a fife and drum corps to provide a soundtrack for the delight of Immortan Joe.
There is a reason that you see Shiny and Chrome, cans of silver paint, and many admirers of Charlize Theron’s character at cons and this is it. Months before Star Wars, Mad Max showed us women can be the lead hero and packaged it in a crazy, familiar, yet new cinematic world. Fury Road has broken down more walls and opened up more roles for women characters to discover. Besides that, it was a whole lot of fun.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:17 pm
Profile Send private message
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre

Faction: G.I.Joe
Code Name: PЯOVOSҬ
File Name: Classified
Aliases: Classified
Primary Military Specialty: Military Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Military Police
Grade: O-6
Post Re: Skinny's top ten movies of 2015

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 pm
Founder
Founder

good list, too late for Taratino's Hateful 8?

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:

I have not seen it nor do I intend to.
I saw Django Unchained and to be blunt I have never liked any of Tarantino's movies.
They are good for shock value and profanity and not much else.
I was hoping to see something new and different with Django but did not.
From what I have read about Hateful 8 ( just now on rotten tomatoes) the best parts of the movie are the things I do not like about Tarantino in the first place.
Tarantino's big draw is his unique style and that scary world that is only in his head. I hope that is the only place it is anyway.

The funny thing is I have only seen a few of his movies.

From Dusk Till Dawn coz you know...Vampires!
Death Proof (by accident and figured eh ok nothing else on so I finished watching it)
Inglorious Basterds (WW2, had to check it out)
Django Unchained looked interesting and was ok until that ridiculous scene at the end.
So I might see Hateful 8 if Netflix streams it, otherwise I won't go out of my way to watch it.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:39 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
I will tell you this, and it is hard for me to admit it, but Ant-Man was better than Avengers 2 in my opinion.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:04 pm
Founder
Founder

skinny wrote:
STORMSHADOW__210 wrote:

I have not seen it nor do I intend to.
I saw Django Unchained and to be blunt I have never liked any of Tarantino's movies.
They are good for shock value and profanity and not much else.
I was hoping to see something new and different with Django but did not.
From what I have read about Hateful 8 ( just now on rotten tomatoes) the best parts of the movie are the things I do not like about Tarantino in the first place.
Tarantino's big draw is his unique style and that scary world that is only in his head. I hope that is the only place it is anyway.

The funny thing is I have only seen a few of his movies.

From Dusk Till Dawn coz you know...Vampires!
Death Proof (by accident and figured eh ok nothing else on so I finished watching it)
Inglorious Basterds (WW2, had to check it out)
Django Unchained looked interesting and was ok until that ridiculous scene at the end.
So I might see Hateful 8 if Netflix streams it, otherwise I won't go out of my way to watch it.

If i may enter a "siskel and ebert" discussion with you on Taratino

I am big fan. He is a unique brand of director that has not been duplicated (many have tried) since Resavoir dogs back in the early 90's. He imagination and above all else, his dialogue, is above reproach. Yes, hes graphic, but what some don't realize, is he is paying homage to the source material of the films/shows he grew up on that serves as inspiration for his projects. Be it a 70s kung fu(kill bill), 70's gangster(pulp fiction-one of my favorite films of all time), or now spagetti westerns. He also has a knack for revitalizing many careers like John Travolta for example. His scripts and dialogue are almost pure poetry at times. Give Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction a shot and admire his style,dialogue, and cinematography. He is one of a kind.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:39 pm
Founder
Founder

Ω Kal-El Ω wrote:
I will tell you this, and it is hard for me to admit it, but Ant-Man was better than Avengers 2 in my opinion.

AVengers was entertaining for sure, but felt like watching a magic show for the second time

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:40 pm
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

I tried to watch Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction and yes I do understand his style and why it is popular but I still just have to agree to disagree on this one.
I don't exactly like the stuff he is homaging either. The glamorized movies of the sixties with their over the top antics, gore and language, have never appealed to me.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:25 pm
Founder
Founder

Got ya. I get it. Like suggesting to someone who hates science fiction to watch Star Trek lol

I thought it was interesting that fury came in number one too

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:55 pm
Founder
Founder

Growing up with Eazy e , Compton was amazing . Fury was a fantastic return to the mad max universe but while I thought he was solid, Gibson was still in my head

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next