SerpentorsLair.info - View topic - Cosplayers are fans

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Cosplayers are fans 
Editorial Moderator
Editorial Moderator

Faction: neutral
Code Name: classified
File Name: classified
Aliases: skinnyjoefan
Primary Military Specialty: classified
Secondary Military Specialty: classified
Post Cosplayers are fans
Twitter is blowing up today after a Facebook post became highly public.
In response to what some are calling the real life Comic book guy, cosplayers are tweeting just how big of a fan they really are.
First a little backstory:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/aft ... dc-comics/
Quote:
Pat Broderick began working as a DC Comics penciller in the early seventies, straight out of high school, as well as working for Atlas and Marvel, including Captain Marvel and Micronauts. He co-created the Creature Commandos, launched The Fury Of Firestorm in 1982, Captain Atom and drew Batman Year Three as well as Swamp Thing and Green Lantern in the nineties, before returning to Marvel for Alpha Flight and Doom 2099.

Pat is returning to DC comics after a twenty year absence.

Here is what he said yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/pat.broderick. ... 7919728233
Quote:
todays heads up. If you're a Cosplay personality, please don't send me a friend request. If you're a convention promoter and you're building your show around cosplay events and mega multiple media guest don't invite me....You bring nothing of value to the shows, and if you're a promoter pushing cosplay as your main attraction you're not helping the industry or comics market..Thank you..

Today YayaHan has started a hashtag trending on twitter called #cosplayersAREfans
tweet after tweet of pictures of collections, stacks of comics, dvds and anything you can imagine related to a comic book are being posted at an alarming rate.

It is very true that no matter what your level of fandom, you should not be quizzed and pushed to prove just how big a fan of something you are. The days of "booth babes" who are hired just to wear a costume are dwindling. These people are passionate about what speaks to them in some way, be it small or massive.
Hours and hours go into the making of these costumes, people learn new skills and they get tips from other cosplayers. It is a vast community. It has its share of drama just like anything else that becomes popular or mainstream.
Cosplay is about expanding your hobby. Making it more than just reading a comic book or playing with a toy that you grew up with. It is an artistic celebration of creativity that impacts a person on a higher level.
Cosplayers do what they do because of passion. They are fans and to say they are not really just means that Pat and those who quickly joined in his denigration of cosplay don't understand that.
Cosplayers enhance a convention, and the comics they represent.

Pat saying that cosplayers don't buy comics or that they take away income from real artists, shows his lack of knowledge of a burgeoning hobby that some may say is peaking. That person who is cosplaying may not be visiting your booth today, but she might tomorrow in a jeans and teeshirt. Maybe he/she has their handler make purchases for them.

Passionate fans are speaking their minds today.
check out the hashtag cosplayersAREfans.
https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q ... s&src=hash

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm
Profile Send private message
Founder
Founder

Faction: Justice League
Code Name: Man of Steel
Post Re: Cosplayers are fans
I think it is fantastic that the comic book world has grown to include your everyday person and is no longer the small comicbook shop nerdverse that it once was. I definitely applaud the cosplayers for speaking up, nobody has the right to tell someone whether or not they are a 'true fan', that stuff is so much nonsense. I appreciate you sharing this, i definitely think it is front page worthy!

ImageImage

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:38 pm
Editoral Moderator
Editoral Moderator

Faction: GIJOE
Code Name: yorktownjoe
File Name: Joe K.
Primary Military Specialty: Counter-Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Sense o' humor
Grade: O-4
Cosplay doesn't really interest me, but I think everyone should enjoy their comic related hobbies to the extent they see fit. If I prefer dio pictures and taking pictures of figures and vehicles, good for me. If you prefer dressing up as the characters, good for you.

Comics are about imagination. And everyone exercises their imagination and creativity their own way.

"To each their own!"

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:13 pm
Founder
Founder

Faction: Secret Avenger
Code Name: Agent Venom
File Name: Flash Thompson
Aliases: Scythe Kid
Primary Military Specialty: Alien Symbiote Host
Secondary Military Specialty: Guardian of the Galaxy
Grade: A Stuff Do'er
Saw that today. If someone takes the time to make a comic or video game costume or spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars commissioning a suit, it's because they love and care for comics/games. I've been cosplaying for years and have been commended for my work by people who work for DC and Marvel. Saying they're not fans is flat out stupid. That being said, there's shitty people who work in the comic book industry, like Pat here and there's shitty cosplayers who care only about their image and garnering as much attention as possible. It's a two-street with jerks on both sides. That being said, comic conventions have evolved and times have changed.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:27 pm
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre

Faction: G.I.Joe
Code Name: PЯOVOSҬ
File Name: Classified
Aliases: Classified
Primary Military Specialty: Military Intelligence
Secondary Military Specialty: Military Police
Grade: O-6
The amount of very high quality cosplay costumes I have seen on the net is an awesome demonstration of one's devotion and fan status to a particular character as I see it.

This Pat Broderick either has his head up his ass so far he is not able to hear or is being elitist which is douchebag behaviour so either way he's making enemies not friends.

Cosplay for the short to medium term future is not going to dwindle and die,it's experiencing a great period I reckon right now.

More power to the cosplayers who YES are fans indeed!

Enjoy yourself and be happy,ignore haters.

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:28 pm
Founder
Founder

I've been reading that several comic book industry workers and their wives in some cases are mad that cosplayers are stealing the attention and money they should be earning by just being at a comic con.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:31 pm
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre

Scythe wrote:
I've been reading that several comic book industry workers and their wives in some cases are mad that cosplayers are stealing the attention and money they should be earning by just being at a comic con.

"stealing" aka competing ;)

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:32 pm
Founder
Founder

Competing is pretty much the correct term but they seriously make it sound like Cosplayers and celebrities are pulling the spoons of food away from their mouths. One dude's wife has even started several hundred petitions to ban cosplay from conventions.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:16 am
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre
Serpentor's Loyal Cadre

Scythe wrote:
Competing is pretty much the correct term but they seriously make it sound like Cosplayers and celebrities are pulling the spoons of food away from their mouths. One dude's wife has even started several hundred petitions to ban cosplay from conventions.

Well normally I'd say "Good luck with that" but nowadays seems these "petitions" get more success in achieving their desired goal that it's just as crazy that they'd succeed.

Maybe need to get these "petitions" to work on some of the world's actual problems.

мыслете наш он покой

Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:22 am
Founder
Founder

PЯOVOSҬ wrote:
Scythe wrote:

Well normally I'd say "Good luck with that" but nowadays seems these "petitions" get more success in achieving their desired goal that it's just as crazy that they'd succeed.

Maybe need to get these "petitions" to work on some of the world's actual problems.

Oh! Like that one petition that got GTA V taken out of Target in Australia? Did you hear about that??

Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next